Cerulean, cobalt that
bright, vibrant blue
a thousand stained glass windows
a serene ocean
the rounded cupolas
atop the houses of Mykonos
so many beautiful things in blue
and yet, each time my
eyes set against such color
I feel a spring floor under my bare feet
my body swathed in sweat and spandex
my hands ripped and bleeding
covered in chalk
I had a friend who
smelled varnish each time
he saw a hardwood floor
another the scent of salt
(having spent many hours
swabbing down ship decks)
still another who could not
remember the street names
he daily walked but knew
by knots and whorls
the species of the tree
that had been cut to walk upon
I see the slats of wooden floors
and hear the strains of Stravinsky,
feel obliged to point my toes
compelled to stand aright
Certain ground feels like home
my standing on it innate
Yet other flooring is more foreign
the wet tile of natatoriums
the gummy, minging mats
of weight rooms
It is difficult to belong when
I do not know how to stand
Years and ailments away
from my training
on hard wood and blue carpet,
I have grown accustomed to
walking those other surfaces
with the smack of flip flops
and the squeak of aging trainers
but today, I lost my shoes
It was time to go to the gym
(not the blue-carpeted kind)
the odorous gym
filled to bursting with
trim, fit humans
weights and machines
which conjure inadequacies
and apathy in abundance
I had made a commitment
but could not find my shoes
Failing to find suitable replacements
(pink floral flats? knee-high leather boots?)
I pulled a pair of not-quite sneakers
flat, brown and quite old
onto my feet
Observing myself in the mirror
faded, green, college t-shirt
lilac track pants
brown shoes
I may as well have been wearing
a bedazzled Hawaiian shirt
and black socks with sandals
I laughed, pulled on my coat
and walked my pudgy, arthritic,
nearly 30 year old body
into a stinky gym
where 18 year olds with 2% body fat
stared at me and giggled
I made eye contact waved and smiled
Settled my bum onto the stationary bike
opened my book
(about an Anglican priest)
and began my cardio
It felt fabulous
I am grateful for perspective
for the ground I stand on
(all sorts)
for identity in Christ
and nothing else
and once in a while,
I am grateful
for dance shoes
No comments:
Post a Comment