07 March 2010

Good News

"The Good News means we can stop lying to ourselves. The sweet sound of amazing grace saves us from the necessity of self-deception. It keeps us from denying that though Christ was victorious, the battle with lust, greed, and pride still rages within us. As a sinner who has been redeemed, I can acknowledge that I am often unloving, irritable, angry, and resentful with those closest to me. When I go to church, I can leave my white hat at home and admit that I have failed. God not only loves me as I am, but also knows me as I am. Because of this, I don't need to apply spiritual cosmetics to make myself presentable to Him. I can accept ownership of my poverty and powerlessness and neediness."

-Brennan Manning, The Ragamuffin Gospel

2 comments:

Ashley Reale said...

That is a GREAT book! Read it years ago in college :)

Anonymous said...

It confused me when I tried to find the "post comment" link. hmmmmm...

I like the quote. :)