the jolt of the can opener
startled me
expecting a smooth transition
round the aluminum tube
it's jar caused my spine to stiffen
I pulled off the lid
held the metal against my face
I melted against the surface
cold and smooth
the earthy scent of coconut milk
rose to me
and despite the coolness
of the can, of the day
I could feel sunshine on my face
despite the harsh, flickering, fluorescent light
of my kitchen
I closed my eyes
saw bright colors, smelled spices
gripping the grain of the wooden spoon
I stirred the curry in
training my eye to see through
the cloud of cumin, cardamom, cinnamon
rising from the pan
I stood alone, in a small dingy room
in a small rural town
but in my heart
I was home
in the colorful city
in the comfort of friends
eating Thai green curry
in a kitchen filled with laughter
I miss you all
No comments:
Post a Comment