I squint my eyes as the acid sinks
into the taste buds under my tongue
too much lemon on the fish
balancing the sour with a large
mouthful of the base
crispy french bread basted with
the perfect amount of butter
my mouth and eyes otherwise engaged
my hand searches, closes around the
cold stem of crystal brimming with juice
just before the edge of the glass
brushes my waiting lips
my eyes catch the newspaper
on the corner of the table
tinted carmine through my
cranberry line of vision
I gulp and do my best to mentally follow
the cooling trail of liquid
descending into my body
when I can no longer trace its location
my fingers find my fork
I stab into the bowl of noodles
swirling the utensil until
an appropriate amount entwines
the metal spines, I open myself
to the bouquet of fresh basil
and sense some tiny joy
as the olive oil splashes
onto my face
this is all another way of saying
I had fish, bread, juice and pasta with pesto
for dinner tonight
2 comments:
I really enjoyed this: "I open myself / to the bouquet of fresh basil"
Soft and gentle like a slowly unfolding plant! Fun to say as well... bouquet and basil go beautifully together.
Excellent!
Thank you, Wes :)
Post a Comment