Howdy Folks! I was tagged by Candis Lee Jones to write and tell you all seven things about myself. I am grateful for the prompt to write, and so I shall commence:
1. One of the simplest calming rituals I take part in is to paint my fingernails & toenails on a pretty regular basis. I also think that time with crayons & coloring books is calming. Both of these things involve pretty colors, order and creativity. Room to be creative, boundaries and a starting place (sometimes a big, blank canvas can be intimidating). There's also a rhythmic motion to these activities and it takes a certain level of concentration without being a lot to think about. I can feel my blood pressure fall as I breathe slowly and brush or shade sweet colors in between the lines.
2. I love lit candles. Being in a room with lit candles sets me at ease. There is something about that particular kind of light. Just seeing it, even from afar, warms me up. The only time this is not true is when I am in a room with multiple competing scents. If you must light two candles at once, try to make sure the scents compliment one another and are not overpowering. This way, your guests, like me :) can just lavish in the glow without being assaulted in the olfactories.
3. I notice things, details, stuff a lot of folks just drive past in order to get to where life calls them. Burning sunsets, how the fringe on rugs is often many colors of thread twisted together, diamond stars in black skies, the dance of raindrops, a small splash of color in an otherwise gray line of vision, funny license plates or walking birds (I love to catch a bird walking the earth- I wonder if they yearn for it like I yearn for sky). They've always brightened my day a bit. But here's what's better. When I notice something now, I often know- in my gut- that it's there just for me and I am so thankful. I am in no way suggesting that I am more important than any of you. In fact, I suggest that you try out my viewpoint, if only for a few days. Look around you, find something that peaks your curiosity or pries your lips into a smile. Then believe, for a moment, or at least acknowledge the possibility, that it was meant for you. That you were meant to see it, experience it. When you begin to consider that all of these enjoyable moments were purposely placed in your life, the universe (and the Creator of it) become endeared to you. Life becomes sweeter. And the probability that God's looking out for you is so much more real and true. Notice the small things that make you smile. Consider that they are there for your benefit. Feel loved.
4. Lately, I've been using my dish-doing time as prayer-time or praise-singing-time. This makes doing the dishes seem much, much more worthwhile.
5. I watched Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix so many times this past summer that it now feels like home to me. I walked into the video store a month or so ago and it was playing and instantly, I wanted to make tea and take a nap. Right there. In the video store. Okay, not in the video store, but you get the idea. The same goes for Pride & Prejudice (A&E, 6hr version).
6. It's been a bit of a rough week in my world, but I've been blessed. On Thursday alone, I had eight different people take a bit of time and space out of their day to make me feel loved, to pray good things for me and to stand guard at my heart's door to send away the lies I am so tempted to believe. I hope that when you have a rough time, someone will sit with you, encourage you, storm the gates for you. If you can't think of anyone. Get in touch with me. I'll be happy to.
7. I am currently sitting on a bed on the 3rd floor of a house that belongs to some really lovely, very loving people. After my tough week, they said I could come for a visit. When I arrived, there was a welcome sign for me on their chalkboard. Thus far, I have seen both Tyler Perry & Charlton Heston on the tele, savored some amazing guacamole, been playfully bitten by a large cat, received several hugs and one tutoring session on how to tie knots (from a very knowledgeable six year old gentleman). It's been a good evening.
Lovely spending time with you all, my friends of the interwebzzz! Sleep well!
Peace
2 comments:
Hey lady, love your list. :) Hope you can come tonight!
Number four is AWESOME! I need to start doing this ;)
Post a Comment