sweaty bangs, soft skin, hot tears
cradled in the nape of my neck
I hold her for a moment, then
gently
pry her away
Emily beautiful, Emily victorious,
I am singing, softly
her eyes blink to the beat
her voice refuses, still
hanging onto the muffled sobs
I ask her to tell me
a story of how it happened
she begins slowly with truth
the real, gritty details
rocks on the path
Kylie was chasing her
her eyes hot with tears
the injustice of the fall
she looks up, I nod
giving permission for the story to grow
the rocks become boulders
then cliffs by the sea
Emily's eyes grow wide
Kylie becomes a dragon
the chase is epic
the wound is born with courage
dragons are banished from the kingdom
and Emily, Emily is victorious
victorious over my searching tweezers,
childrens' teasing voices
and even hydrogen peroxide
hardly noticed
as I finish my work, smoothing
the edges of the bandage
Emily proudly states
The End
No comments:
Post a Comment